Orthodontic braces are used to move teeth over a period of time into an improved position within your mouth.
This time period can take anything from a few months to a couple of years to complete and will depend on the final result desired and the starting position of the teeth. See more information on the process.
Your bite may be causing problems so by repositioning the balance of the teeth structure this can be improved.
Children are usually treated for orthodontic misalignment in their teens; however more adults are seeking this form of correction as there are a variety of options available for the rectification of crooked, crowded or gaps in your teeth now.
Also, more adults are seeking this type of treatment as they can get away with the treatment without people noticing. For example, Invisalign braces are completely invisible! You can find out more here.
Braces are not just made out of metal; other materials are now more commonly used such as plastics clear or coloured and ceramics. Oral hygiene is extremely important during the whole orthodontic experience as often there are more places for food and sugary drinks to set up camp and begin damaging your teeth. What are braces made from?
Did you know that smoking is a massive contributor to bad oral hygiene? Check more information.
There are a variety of methods of attaching braces to your teeth:
- They can be moulded plates with wires which fit tightly over the teeth with a headgear which is worn at night
- Fixed – which means they are attached to your teeth with brackets wires and bands which are adjusted every 4-6 weeks by your orthodontist
- Elastics – these are worn with a fixed brace to move the teeth
- Functional appliances – these use your jaw muscles to alter the growing pattern of the jaw –with children
- Invisible – these are clear plastic mouldings worn over the teeth, and are more popular with adults. These are designed to be changed every two weeks and are worn all the time. They can be removed when you eat or drink.
The costs of braces from a private practice
The average cost of braces is difficult to assess as it is dependent on the amount of work and movement which needs to be done however prices will start from £1,000 – upwards. However, if you would like to discuss prices with a leading orthodontist in Hertfordshire, call 01279 652400 to book a consultation.