Maintaining your oral health is very important as neglecting your mouth can lead to gum disease.
Good oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist are imperative to ensure you have healthy teeth and gums.
Here are some top tips:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. You may also decide to brush after each meal as this will help to remove food. A toothbrush with a smaller head will give you access to the back of your teeth.
- Use floss daily. Flossing allows you to get between teeth where your toothbrush couldn’t reach. This allows you to clean in between your gums preventing you from having gum disease. The symptoms of gum disease are swollen gums and bleeding when brushing your teeth. If not treated it can become advanced, therefore it would be beneficial to know how to deal with things and get the right treatment for it. Click here to find out more.
- Use fluoride toothpaste. This will help to harden enamel and will reduce the risk of decay to your teeth.
- Limit sugary drinks. This includes fizzy and juice drinks. The acids in these drinks can soften the tooth materials which can end up dissolving enamel. Eventually, this will leave to cavities.
- Use a mouth guard. This will prevent your teeth from injury, especially when playing sports. You may also decide to wear one at night to prevent the effects of grinding teeth.
- Don’t use your teeth to open bottles. Your teeth should only be used to eat. Using them to open bottles or open packages mean you risk chipping or breaking your teeth.
- Visit your dentist regularly. You should visit your dentist at least twice a year to check that there are no underlying problems.
- Limit your sugar intake in foods. The bacteria in plaque can change the sugar into acids, which can cause cavities.
- Use braces to straighten teeth. More and more adult is having braces to straighten their teeth. This can prevent issues arising in the future.
- Don’t delay your dental treatments. Your dentist will recommend a treatment if they feel you need it. It is important to book this in as soon as possible rather than the issue getting worse.
Are you missing a tooth? A dental implant treatment is the perfect solution. Read more.